Christchurch Cathedral2 Smith St, Darwin
Cyclone Tracy destroyed a number of historic stone buildings in Darwin. One of these was the Anglican Christchurch Cathedral in Smith Street. The original building was constructed in 1902, and in 1944 the Defence forces, who were occupying Darwin at the time, built the portico and entrance gates as a remembrance to the servicemen who lost their lives in the Darwin area. During the cyclone, the main building was reduced to rubble but the portico survived. This was incorporated into the new cathedral using an award-winning, modern design, and was consecrated in 1977. It is surrounded by beautiful gardens.
Then photograph: National Archives of Australia: B6295, 3837P
Now photograph: Paul Arnold